Monday, October 22, 2012

2012 Oklahoma Statewide #Autism Conference with #TonyAttwood as Keynote Speaker

     I had the privilege of being able to attend the Oklahoma Statewide Autism Conference and hearing Tony Attwood as today's Keynote Speaker on "Asperger's Syndrome". It was a great presentation and I am very thankful that my local non-profit, AutismOklahoma.org, sent me to the conference. I recently accepted the apprenticeship of the AutismOkc.org Support Group Leader where I am working with the current Support Group Leader to "learn the ropes". When I wasn't absorbing the information during Dr. Attwood's presentation, I used every available moment to gather resources from the many information booths to list on my autism blog and offer to the families at the next support group meeting. 

     I enjoyed attending last year's conference but, I was much more prepared for the stimulus and had a personal agenda for wanting to attend this year. Nathan, as most of you know from following us, has Asperger's Syndrome. He is in fourth grade, is having difficulty transitioning when rotating classes and is prone to sharing his unfiltered thoughts when frustrated...which is almost all of the time! I am hoping what I learned, from Dr. Attwood's presentation, that I will be able to come up with a viable solution to help Nathan and his teachers have a more productive school year. I want to thank each and every one of you for supporting and following us on Nathan's autism journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment