Sunday, March 25, 2012

Why does nobody care?

Lauren is sharing another post from her blog AutismMumsDads with us as our Featured Guest Blogger in honour of the upcoming World Autism Awareness Day, April 2, 2012. Join us as we celebrate Autism Awareness Month the entire month of April! ~Lorrie


I really wanted to share with you all the fact that yesterday I was informed that my three and a half year old Autistic Son, who is non-verbal will be discharged from the Speech and Language Therapy Department, after NO therapy.
The reasons why haven’t been disclosed but I will be demanding answers as to why his speech therapist – and I use that term loosely, deems his speech & language satisfactory enough to not be pursuing any type of speech therapy.
Since A was diagnosed last July, we where told he had been put on the waiting list for Speech Therapy and due to his diagnosis he was a ‘priority case’ & we would hear back from them soon, this was the same time I was promised visual symbols to be sent through the post – needless to say I’m still waiting – wow their printer must be slow!
My son has a speech disorder due to his autism & early intervention is absolutely crucial to his future development. He is way behind in his speech and language when compared to his peers & this can only add to his already present communication impairments.
I have a strange feeling, I’ll be told its down to lack of funding in our area – its disgraceful and its not just happening to me. It seems ‘professionals’ don’t care unless its happening to them – and why would they? They aren’t the ones with a three year old son who is going to mainstream school in September with one spontaneous word in his vocabulary – and they bang on about giving our children the best start.
I have been lied to over and over again, why do we have to fight for everything for our children? Don’t we put up with enough already?
Many children with an ASD are delayed in their use of language and shy away from using speech. Therefore other methods of communication need to be established before speech and language will follow – is it too much to ask for some help or guidance as to what these methods are?
Why does nobody care?
Why is there a lack of funding for crucial interventions to be present for those children that need it to live their lives the best way possible?
I’m not the only one who is angry, upset and feeling let down. I have lots of friends – fellow Autism parents who are being let down with therapies or having to wait years for a diagnosis whilst their children are being labelled as ‘naughty’ its about time people stood up and became more aware and its about time people started caring for the lives of our children – they would if it was theirs!
Sorry for the rant but I had to get it out of my system, I and many others fight endlessly for our children and support is so important.
I’d also like to mention that I’ve had some wonderful support from friends on twitter who have given me some great advice – where would we be without people like this?
Any comments please feel free to leave them below.
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment