Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Leg Pain, X-rays and Lab Work...Oh, My!

     Nathan woke up this morning with pain in his legs when he tried to stand up. I called the doctor's office as I was getting everyone around. I had to carry Nathan to the dining room and back down the hall to use the bathroom then helped him into the bathtub to clean up before his doctor's appointment. This is difficult for any eight year old boy but, especially one whom has become very independent After we dropped off Nathan's brother at school, we went straight in to our doctor's office, and after an examination, we ended up over at the hospital for x-rays of his legs, hips, etc. The technicians explained that it could be the end of the week before we received the results. So, Nathan and I stopped by the grocery store to pick up Velveeta shells & cheese, children's ibuprofen and a few other necessary items. 
     When we got home, we checked on my husband whom has been sick the last few days and then fixed us all some lunch. Nathan and his father went down the hall after eating. I had just sat down in the living room to relax, before going to pick up Nathan's brother from school, when the doctor's office called for Nathan to have lab work done immediately. There was no way to be in two places at once, so I called upon Grandma & Granddaddy to pick up Nathan's brother from school. I then carried Nathan to the car and headed off to pick up the lab work orders from the doctor's office to take with us to the lab. I had been anxious all day and if I didn't want Nathan to get more frustrated than he already had become, I needed to redirect my energy into helping him focus on something that would take his mind off what was going around him. 
     While we were waiting to have Nathan's lab work drawn, we talked about what he might want to pick up for dinner on the way home. He decided upon "the golden arches" which gave him something to concentrate on for the time being. When they eventually called Nathan back to draw the lab work, the nurses brought a wheelchair which put a smile on both of our faces! Carrying my eighty pound son around wasn't quite what I had imagined that I would be doing today. The nice nurses brought Nathan a little teddy bear in a t-shirt with the hospital logo before they started. It didn't take very long at all before it was over. As they were wheeling him out, the nurses let him choose a full-size candy bar. They even offered me one! lol 
     Now, we just have to wait patiently until our doctor's office gets the lab results back from the hospital. Did I mention that our regular physician is on "leave of absence" until sometime in March? From what I understand, the doctor that has been covering for our physician, the one that saw Nathan today, will be returning to his normal office after tomorrow. I hope that we will receive Nathan's lab results tomorrow. I would be most upset if my son's care suffers because of the change of "lab coats". Please keep our family in your thoughts and prayers! I will post updates when I have more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment