Monday, February 6, 2012

I am Running Out of Tissues!

     Words can't express how this momma feels. Even though my eighteen year old son enlisted in the Army in August of last year, and we knew he wouldn't be leaving until February 6, 2012 for Basic Training, it doesn't make it any easier for me to see him go. He was able to see almost everyone from my side of the family when we got together at Christmas. Since then, I have gotten him and my Dad together, taken him over to see my husband's parents who have treated him & his sister as their own grandchildren and have spent as much time as possible with him over the last few months. It has been a very emotional week while I was helping him get his paperwork, bank account and all the things he needed together so that he could pack. He spent some time over the weekend with his 2 year old nephew and his pregnant 22 year old sister, who is due to deliver his niece anytime. Tonight, I gathered him and his almost 9 year old & 10 year old brothers tonight for them to have a chance to spend time with their big brother before he leaves out later today for Basic Training for the Army. My youngest boys are both too young to understand what this really means but, I am glad that I made it possible for them to see him. It could be a minimum of three months before he comes back from Basic Training. If everything works out for him and he gets a chance at Airborne school and then at becoming a Ranger, it could be quite awhile before he gets to return home. Either way, when he does get to come home, he will be a changed person. The Army will make a man out of the little boy I gave birth to almost nineteen years ago. I am fighting back the tears as I type this and just as I have been for the last forty-eight hours!
     I am going to try to get some rest before I have to get up, with the alarm in four hours, and rush the boys off to school so I can shed some more tears at the airport. I know this post isn't directly related to autism but, it affects me which will eventually affect Nathan and the rest of the family. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers during this period of adjustment. I am dealing with a difficult medical diagnosis and could use a bunch of positive thoughts, also. I want to thank you for continuing to follow our blog! We will be back to bringing you Featured Guest Bloggers, more resources and more fantastic giveaways in the near future. If you would like to contact me with special needs resources to list on the blog, news that would be of interest to our readers in the autism community or would be interested in offering a resource for our future giveaways, email lorrieservati@yahoo.com at your convenience. I always look forward to hearing from our readers! Good night and I hope you have a great week!!

2 comments:

  1. on behalf of veteran's, thank you for your son's service to our country.
    as far as the post not being directly related to Autism, I think that if it affects any member of the family of a child/person with Autism, then it is directly related to Autism. In time, your family will adjust to his being away from home. It will be a difficult transition, but it will be necessary. You have support in the community of Autism families that are online. I know of an online forum for Autism Support if you are interested. Please let me know. on Twitter, I can be found @whynotfathers.
    lastly, you are of no help to your family if your medical condition worsens. I have two chronic conditions myself, and know full well how stress can affect one's health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to read & leave an awesome comment! It meant so much to receive it while we are waiting for the ceremony. We won't be able to see him off @ the airport, like we thought. I just hope my daughter doesn't go into labor until after her brother's ceremony is over.
      Thanks again & have a wonderful week!

      Delete