Sunday, June 22, 2014

Embracing Changes Through #Autism - Helping Others and Myself

In the previous post, I mentioned that I have difficulty with change. Flexibility doesn't come easy for me but, I am working to become more flexible when things don't go my way. In an effort to provide a better role model for my children, I will be choosing to make changes in select areas of my life that I would normally consider off limits. This is where I announce, what I value, as a major change in my life. For anyone that has spent any time around me, you will most likely know how much I like my long hair.

It was last Friday morning and I had been trying to find the time to get the dead ends trimmed off of my for the summer. I was thinking that I could have three to five inches of my hair cut off and probably still have enough length to be able to pull it up in a clip. So, I grabbed the tape measure to see how long my blonde hair was before making any crazy decisions. I was surprised at how long I had let my hair grow. I remembered that my younger sister had donated her hair after letting it grow out. I decided to look up Locks of Love to find out what the requirements were to make a donation. 



It was a straight forward and an easy process to follow. I called the hair school to make sure that they would be able to help me with cutting my hair for the donation before going in. I printed the guidelines, the donation form and besides taking a plastic ziplock bag with me to protect the donation once it was cut. Vincent was kind enough to take pictures of this event for me.


I did my best not to think about how much hair I would be losing if I took the 10 inches required to make the donation to Locks of Love. I focused on how it would help a child in need and also give myself a fresh look for summer. It helped that I had the moral support of my two youngest sons as I made this change in my life. I truly believe that things happen for a reason and this came about at the right time.


My hair was getting so long that it was taking much more time and energy than I had to give these days. Having shorter hair was going to be better for me and take less time to take care of. I could sleep later because I would not have to get up as early in the morning to wash, dry and style my hair. If I'm able to get more sleep, I would definitely have more energy to do what I need to every day.


Having approximately 12 inches in length cut off of my hair was literally painless and I feel so much better that I was able to help a child through Locks of Love. I realize that this was my choice, and I don't expect everyone to do what I did but, I encourage you to check out their website. I hope to see and/or hear from anyone who would like to contact me. I'll be enjoying my new look and being able to spend more time with my family this summer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment